Monday, August 24, 2009

Student Teaching Ahoy!

Well, it's that time I've been waiting so long to get to. Here's what I've done with my time since graduating college
  1. teach at charter school for a year (06-07)
  2. get a full time job b/c teaching doesn't pay in the summer (07-08)
  3. enroll in Ashland's Teacher Licensure program, begin tutoring (08-present)
So, it's been just over three years and I feel like my life has been in constant flux. My goal has always been to teach high school English--since before I entered college. That means my goal began before 2002. And NOW, 7 years later, here I am, about to begin my final assignment that will lead to my teaching license and hopefully a real job. I begin Student Teaching this fall and will be done with EVERYTHING in December.

I can't even begin to explain how exciting this is for me, and I feel as though most people around me just can't comprehend how thrilling it is. I love teaching and am so glad that I signed up for classes at Ashland and finally stopped putting off what I knew I needed to do.

My checklist of things to do is decreasing steadily. I have to finish the rest of my online course in Teaching Methods (I am down to just TWO lessons and a final project). I have to take the teaching test for content and teaching practices (I scheduled it for November 14th). And finally, I have to complete my student teaching.

I am so pleased with how well the pieces are all falling into place. My final project for the Methods class will be planning a unit on the Odyssey which I will be teaching while student teaching. School starts tomorrow, and I have planned to observe the first day of class. I can't wait to get started, and I can't wait to be done. I just hope there are job openings once I have my license.

No comments: